Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Annotated Bibliography



Robert Ennis
UNIV 3925
08 AUG 2014
Assignment 3

1.       Annotated Biblography:  to identify resources to inform your project identify 4-6 reliable sources, write them down in APA or MLA reference list and then annotate to explain why you've chosen the resource and how it will inform your project.  Sources can be research articles, guide books, other academic books, reliable websites, and reliable people.
• Center For American Progress. “A Turning Point For The Bureau Of Land Management”. December 18, 2013. Web http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/report/2013/12/18/81291/a-turning-point-for-the-bureau-of-land-management/. Web access 27 August 2014.
 - An article that elucidates recent land resource management issues.
• Ennis, William. Personal interviews. 2005-2014. Hurricane, Utah.
 - Brother and mentor. This graphic designer opened a kayak shop in Hurricane, and has improved health by living in a physically-exhaustive profession.
• Ilardi, Stephen. “Depression is a Disease of Civilization”: Stephen Ilardi at TEDxEmory. TED, 2013. Web access through www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv3BP0Fdi8. Web access July 2014.
- This professor of clinical psychology has served at numerous universities and applies anthropological methods to analysis of depression, and has come up with the foundation for my project: to live better by understanding and applying evolutionarily-responsible behavioral modification to individuals to cure psychological diseases caused by modern phenomena.
• Kappele, William. Rockhounding Utah. Helena, Montana: Morris Book Publishing, LLC, 1996. Paperback.
- This analytical and playful review of mineralogically-interesting sites in my surrounding area offers waypoints to explore, and ignites my mammalian seeking impulse for acquisition.
• United States Census. Resident Population Data.  Census.gov 2010. Web access August 2014.
• Wikipedia. “Utah”. En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah. 2014. Web access August 2014.
2.  Describe the geography of the area you will be in for your project.  If you are going to multiple places, give an overview of each.
As I will be exploring my surroundings, which include up to all of Southern Utah, Nevada, and Arizona, the geography of the area of interest is mostly desert, but includes some rainforest in Zion National Park; swamplands in St. George; and this region features a wealth of geographical features in a relatively compacted radius. (Kappele, 1). Hurricane is home to Quail Creek Reservoir and Sand Hollow Reservoir: both artificial bodies of water, which have become home to migratory waterfowl including herons and seagulls (William Ennis interviews). In this area there are sandstone cliffs, lava ridges, caves, rivers, desert plains, grassy meadows and farmlands. Southern Utah is unusually diverse in its geographical diversity, which should make it fun to explore in greater detail.
3.  Common plants and animals:  what plants and animals are you expecting to be in the area?  Describe 3-5 plants and 3-5 animals.
In my limited exploration of the region, I have seen juniper trees, and oaks on the mountainside. Along the valley floor I’ve seen sagebrush and ericameria nauseosa, or “rabbit brush”. While kayaking with my brother, William Ennis, I’ve seen eared grebes with garnet-red eyes; and he pointed out the nesting grounds of herons between the fingerlike isthmuses at Quail Creek Reservoir. I’m certain to see families of deer lurking at night along the back-roads of Cedar or Toquerville. Another question to ask, in this case, would be “how often do you see these wild things?” The answer might be “Not nearly enough.”
4.  What significant human history has taken place in your project area?
Two weeks ago I drove up to the Parowan Gap, and saw questionably old petroglyphs. More than a few were in English, which casts some doubt on the origins of other markings. And a little further to the south, near Enterprise, there was an event that reverberates in Utah’s history to this day: the so-called “Mountain Meadows Massacre”.  A memorial for it may be found by doing as follows: “on Utah Highway 18, drive 4.7 miles to the well-marked turnoff to the site.” (Kappele, 17). It is nearly impossible to avoid the religious and political history of the area, but my objectives are not about other people and their histories. In this celebration of primitive self-improvement, I want to improve and analyze my own ability to relate to my inhuman surroundings; and to bring back that elixir to my people.
5.  How is the land used today?
Utah is home to about 2.9 million people, according to the U.S. Census. With the region’s inculcated drive towards self-sufficiency, many industries can be seen: mining for metals in Iron County, and livestock ranching just off the highway. The Center for American Progress decries the parceling of land for mining and oil-drilling, and while those do contribute to only 2% of the local workforce, those resources literally fuel many other jobs (American Progress, but cited with an opposing viewpoint). Just off the highways one can see quarries,
6.  How is the land managed?  Please be sure you list who manages the land and the most significant management issues in the area.
The majority of my exploratory and immersive objectives rest in the purview of the Bureau of Land Management, or are federally-owned lands. According to the Center For American Progress, the Bush-Administration produced so-called “Master Leasing Plans” which paved the way for environmental hazards caused by drilling and mining on that leased land (American Progress). I’ve also heard a lot of noise about water rights, especially with regard to California verging on a natural disaster with drought. I will be focusing my efforts on exploring the wild lands, managed by federal and state agencies. On these, water management is of paramount importance; though in the more tourist-oriented areas such as Zion National Park, maintaining a moderately pristine wilderness paradise is key.
7.  What type of area will you be in?  Describe the environment in terms of desert, grassland, forest, etc.
If I play my cards right, I can trade some design work time for kayaking time down at Quail Creek Reservoir at William Ennis’ shop, “Dig Paddlesports”. Locally, OEC kayaks could be taken to the pond at the south end of town. Lake Quitchipah seems to rarely have more than a few inches of water anywhere, which makes it a little hard to boat in. As winter comes on, I intend to bundle up and use the padding effect of the snow to my advantage in medium-distance, high-intensity offroad jogs. This is aligned with a goal of increasing of range, frequency and duration of personal expeditions in spite of adverse terrain and weather.
8.  What do you like and dislike about the area?
I come from near sea-level. I spent my sedentary youth there. Here, the terrain is wide and vast, varied and rugged. Instead of going on mind-numbing runs in the city, I can work up a sweat by skipping along trails while looking for fossils and minerals. I can try weekend camp-outs. I despise and fear camping, and I’d like to overcome that… I believe it is the risk of isolation that deters me; and I wish to obviate that. According to William Kappele in Rockhounding Utah, this area boasts an incredibly low population rate in the outlying areas. He notes, “Wayne, Millard, Kane, Garfield, and Daggett counties had a density of only 1 person per square mile… This makes for uncrowded rockhounding, but when you are out in the boondocks, you had better take your lunch and have a full tank of gas. (Kappele, 1)” If I want to get away from it all, this area is perfect. On the other hand, if I should suddenly develop agoraphobia while hiking precipitous cliffs, it may be difficult to get back into a bustling crowd of humans. There are certain happy limitations to this de-civilization process. According to Prof. Stephen Ilardi, the highlanders of Papual New Guinea enjoy happiness, in some part, because they are able to violently oppose those who offend them without risk of external legal ramifications. Their actions are directly consequential, and they would face incarceration and worse for the same actions in this country. My objectives have nothing to do with uncompassionate savagery, and everything to do with mindful reintegration with nature.
9.  What experience have you had in the area?
Years ago I was in pretty good shape. I lived in St. George for a while, and I went dancing, running, and sometimes kayaking out on the lake. I was generally a homebody, embedded in college life and professional work. When I got married, I came to Cedar to work and help put my wife through school. I became profoundly depressed, stuck at work, and became totally obese. I first hiked Cedar Mountain last year, about a month after my wife left me. At the time I was technically bedridden with pneumonia, almost too weak to walk. Yet, I made an extraordinarily willful move: I took a hike. I got about halfway up the mountain, and was nearly dead by the time I got home. It was worth it. I could already feel my depression lifting. I had rediscovered a profound connection between environmental exploration and happiness, which I had lost for some years. That led to increased interest in research on the nature of happiness, which has led directly to this outdoor project. I have reason to believe that outdoor engagement is crucial for all individual human health and happiness, and that happier people contribute to a more creative and healthy society.

No comments:

Post a Comment